Coffeecake

Now that the weather is trying to cool off I am starting to bake more.
One of my favorite recipes is this coffeecake (I don't remember where I got this recipe but I know that my copy is falling apart and I better post this while I still have it written down somewhere):

Ingredients: •Topping:•1/2 cup brown sugar•1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour•1/4 cup butter•1 teaspoon cinnamon
- these are just estimates, I usually just throw these together by feel.
•Cake:•1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift before measuring)•2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder•1/2 teaspoon salt•1 egg, beaten•3/4 cup sugar•1/3 cup melted butter•1/2 cup milk•1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation:Topping. In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly. Set aside.Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter. Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch layer-cake pan. Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack. Cut coffee cake into squares while still warm.

Comments