Lemon Snowballs

Ingredients: 1 cup butter, room temperature
½ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon extract
2 cups flour
Powdered sugar to coat
Directions: Preheat oven to 350°
Beat butter with an electric mixer for two minutes, add powdered sugar and lemon extract. Stir in flour with a strong wood spoon until well mixed. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on aluminum foil lined pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before rolling warm cookies in powdered sugar. Place on rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar when cookies are completely cool. Makes about 3 dozen.


This Lemon Snowball is a recipe I came up with probably 8 years ago, give or take a year. I wanted something like those peppermint cookies they used to make around this time of year, or the pfeffernüsse cookies that are so popular with those EU folk, but with a more widely appealing flavor. I discovered those powdered sugar covered wedding cookies but for some strange reason I never really liked nuts in my cookies so they simply would not do. Anywho, I went with a lemon flavored cookie, covered in confectioner's sugar (rolled twice!) and here we have it. It is by far one of my most requested holiday recipes. Go ahead and make a batch - if you don't enjoy them I am pretty sure somebody you know will love 'em!

Comments