Four miles

It may not be the longest distance anyone has ever run, but it is the longest distance "I" have ever run!

I really can't emphasize that enough. I ran four miles Sunday, non-stop, in a semi respectable time. Less than 47 minutes - but I don't know exactly. At this point I am just keeping track of time on my cell phone (and the silly stopwatch function turns off when I close the phone to put it in my pocket, talk about useless).

My goal is the ever elusive 10 minute mile, but I haven't come close to that in weeks. The best time that I have clocked was 10:34, and that was a single mile attempt. Maybe I will get out some time this week and just try for time, maybe not. I have to remind myself that I still have some distance to add, and that 5 and 6 miles are the next milestones that I can reasonably strive to achieve.

Meanwhile, my weight has been dipping into the lower half of the 240s. That is nice, and I'm sure it makes running a little easier on my body. Remember, I was in the 280s when I started the Couch to 5k program.

Another change is my running attire. When I started the program it was winter and I used that as an excuse to hide in my running clothes. I wore a pair of 3xl pants from my heavier days because the belt kept them from falling down when I jogged, a black shirt, a 2xl black hooded sweatshirt, a black beanie to keep the sweat from my face, and my dark brown trail shoes. Now I wear real Reebok running shorts with a drawstring waist - and they are silver! I wear a white started athletic shirt, size XL, and a simple white headband to keep the sweat from running into my eyes. I used to look like a total thug when I went jogging, now I look like the average, albeit slightly overweight, runner out there.

I think I may go after the 5 mile goal this weekend. I really have to start upping my game, Sarah wants to participate in the L.A. Marathon next year, and if she does go through with her plan I want to be able to run it. I have six months, so I am reading up on marathon training schedules. I blame The Biggest Loser for this, because when we watched the contestants finish a marathon she was sure anybody could do it! Oh Lucy! What have you done?

Comments