5 and 40

I ran 5.1 miles on Saturday, on the morning of the day we had the party to celebrate my 40th birthday. Yikes! What a crazy day!
I was so thrilled with my time, 58 minutes give or take a few seconds because I don’t use a real stopwatch, and pleased with the fact that I did it continuously. Five miles has been a goal in the back of my mind through out my training. Just as 10, 15, 20, and 25 are milestones, 5 was the first. If I could somehow push through and knock that first 5 down, I knew the rest would fall eventually. And they will!
I am somewhat concerned about the really worn out feeling I had when I had completed the fourth mile and I knew I had some significant distance to cover before getting home. When I think about it I wonder if that is just my inexperience talking, because I know there are plenty of people that look at a five mile run as a nice warm up. I hope to get there soon some day. Looking at my training log I see that I have run 35.8 miles this month, for 5 hours and 52 minutes. I hate to say that I am pleased with my effort, because my goal is so much more, but it is still quite a ways to come from walking for fitness in February!
To top it off, I weighed myself after I ran and showered, and the scale kindly flashed back a 239 at me. It has been so long since I weighed anywhere in the 230s. I have a ways to go before I hit my goal weight, and I am not sure if I can get there without skin removal surgery, but I will give it the same honest effort that has allowed me to lose over 160 pounds and see where I end up.
And the birthday party was pretty fun, we had almost 40 people at the house (40 if you count the wife and myself – coincidence?), a chili dog bar, nachos, and nice big chocolatey Costco cake. And plenty of spirits to go around. I indulged, but not overly so. Still, since today is my actual birthday, I am avoiding the scale until tomorrow.
If I have to make a correction at least I know that I can do this. And Saturday I am looking at another long run. I still have to decide upon a marathon training schedule, the L.A. is coming up fast and I want to be able to finish it without walking, if possible.

Comments